Kirmington is a small village, located in a valley of the Wolds, just off the A18 in present day North Lincolnshire. Although additional houses and amenities have been built, and the population has increased tenfold, the general layout of the village has changed little in the last two and a half centuries. There is a medieval church characterised by a nineteenth century copper-clad spire. The primary school was built in 1882.